Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zelda Retrospective: Part V - Ocarina of Time - Day 4

Sorry for not adding to this in a while. It's been kind of a busy week.

Okay, let's face it. Pretty much everybody hates the Water Temple, even after all these years. The layout makes it hard to remember where you've already been, especially if you made like me this time around and forgot to get the map until late in the dungeon. When you realize you're going to have to lower the water level to get that small key you need and then raise it back all the way to get where you need to go, it's just aggravating.Then, there's the boss, Morpha, another prime example of Hyrule's water pollution woes. I mean, if we're talking nutrient pollution, then all kinds of nasty critters can grow in the water. This guy's pretty much the king of them all. Seriously, people of Hyrule, you need to learn the ways of modern water treatment. Or sue the Zora's for polluting upriver. I bet the EPA would help out in that matter.
I don't know what it was about the fight with Morpha this time around, but it took forever. I think it took me ten minutes to beat him because I just could seem to reel him in with the Longshot and get any more than one sword slash in at a time. Normally this is quick and easy. I even fell in the water a couple of times and got picked up and thrown around by a water arm. I was just off my game.
Also, a bit of a dungeon plot-hole. Where did Ruto go after you run into her? Seriously, there should have been some sort of "Ahh! A creature created by the wanton pollution of water done by my people is grabbing me! Help Link!" or something. She just tells you that she'll lead the way, then she disappears.
In fact, after the way Link literally carries her most of the way through Jabu-Jabu's Belly, it would have been nice to have her tagging along and helping Link in some way. You know, marriage is a partnership and Ruto was pretty hung up about being engaged to Link. She should have shown that she could be a supportive wife. But, no, when Link's off doing the heroics, she probably just ran off to spend his ruppees at the Water Temple's gift shop. Looks like Link dodged a bullet when Ruto became a sage and the whole thing was called off. Aquatic women, hmph. Who needs them?

- Nate

3 comments:

Cybourgeoisie said...

Water Temple's always been my favorite. It epitomizes Hyrule to me. But that's mostly because if I had an element, I'm certain it would be water. However, the Water Temple has always been a ridiculous bitch to go through, except the Master Quest version seemed like the easiest of all the temples..

Also, in the battle with Morpha, you just need to stand in a corner. Morpha can never reach you there.

Phantom said...

What a funny coincidence, I was looking for screenshots for my ocarina of time general review and it led me here. Oh Morpha, you remind of someone, for best or worst.
Anyway, I never did thought the boss to be the result of water wastes and such, I actually found it more 'captivating' in the sense of pure and mystical looking compared to other waters. I had always thought it to be more like the artificial biotical intelligence created by ganondorf.
Funny how you put it anyway.
Be my guest to visit and read my review.

Nate said...

Well, thanks for the comment, Phantom. The whole "water pollution" thing is actually in reference to another blog I wrote last week that was insinuating that water pollution was the cause of all problems in Hyrule. It's just a big joke.