Monday, July 27, 2009

Zelda Retrospective: Part IV: A Link to the Past - Day 3

Question: Is Link's hair pink in A Link to the Past? I mean, I know it's reddish/blondish in the artwork for the game. But in Link's actual pixelated form in the game, is it, in fact, pink?
I mean, the pink could be his hair, or it could be his hat. But when Link gets turned into a rabbit in the Dark World, his fur is pink. Why do I seem so concerned about this? I have no idea. Simple curiosity, I guess.

Anyway, I'm glad to say that I've gone through A Link to the Past all the way to the end of the third dungeon in the Dark World (the one in the Lost Woods) without any advice from a guide. The game is harder than the other 2D Zelda's I've played prior to this series (i.e, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, The Minish Cap), but I've managed to get through. I didn't get the flippers until I went into the 2nd Dark World dungeon, only to find that I need to be able to swim and I think it was sheer luck that I remembered somebody in Kakariko Village mentioning somewhere with Zoras where you could get the "power of a fish" or something like that. As it turns out, the first house I tried in Kakariko was that very guy. Then trying to find a route across the river to get to the Lost Woods in the Dark World proved to be time consuming until, after probably close to an hour of searching, I noticed a subtle arrow made of grass pointing across the river. I whipped out the Hookshot, and whaddyaknow, I got pulled across. Nice.
I also never realized the Hookshot had its origins in A Link to the Past (unless it was somewhere in Adventure of Link after the point where I quit). I had always thought it was new to Ocarina of Time. Hmm, well now I know.
I am finding it more difficult to get through dungeons without getting Game Over screens as well. Especially in the last two dungeons that I've completed, my Game Over count has dramatically risen. I imagine one is supposed to use the Fire Rod against the boss in the third Dark World dungeon, but I kept finding myself low on magic when I got there. And all the Wallmasters sending me back to the beginning where frustrating. There was one room in particular where there were two Gibdos, two blue, floaty electrical thingies and a switch that needed a statue pulled over it to open a door. Of course, you had to pull the statue through a narrow passage, leaving you very vulnerable to the Wallmasters above. I don't know how many times I had to redo that single room. I think some of the angry expressions I threw at Adventure of Link resurfaced for that one.
I need to track down those other two bottles so that I can keep more fairies. And I imagine that there's an upgraded shield somewhere too. If I could find more Pieces of Heart, that would be nice too. I'm debating whether to go to a guide just to get those extra side quest items in order to make the main quest easier.
The dungeon in the Lost Woods turned out to be a pain in the ass, but I was rather intrigued with how reminiscent it was of the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time, since it incorporated similar enemies - Wallmasters (which are even more annoying in this game than in Ocarina of Time), Gibdos, Stalfos and all those other undeadish-seeming enemies. It would seem that, like the Zelda games that would succeed it, A Link to the Past features themed dungeons, like the one I just finished.
Oh, and the Fire Rod? Much fun against Gibdos.

1 comment:

Cybourgeoisie said...

From what I always understood, Link's hair in A Link to the Past was pink because of Japanese hair styles.. But I'm finding reasons that range from a limited palette for Link (not entirely plausible) to something Nintendo overlooked (just as implausible).

So, I have no idea, really. I know there has to be an official answer somewhere. The pink bunny - pink hair correlation you made seems like a very strong argument that his hair is intentionally pink. I mean, his hair moves like hair would, not like if it were part of his hat, so.. I wish I could find a legit answer.