Friday, July 24, 2009

Zelda Retrospective: Part IV: A Link to the Past - Day 2


“Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on.”

-Tim the Enchanter - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Yes, I became a rabbit for a short time today. And after the debacle of Zelda II, I imagine that I was a foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent.
Today is Day 2 of A Link to the Past and, boy, it feels good to be making progress in a game after trying to get through Adventure of Link. Bare with me people, I'll probably be traumatized by that cruel, merciless game for quite some time. It takes time to heal from trauma.
I made my way through the caves leading up Death Mountain and got to the dungeon atop the summit today. I'm not sure that I ever beat this particular dungeon before I stopped playing in my last attempt to go through the game. This dungeon proved a little more difficult than the first two, and I had a few game overs before I finally beat the giant centipede-boss at the top.
I then discovered that I love the Master Sword in this game. This is a weapon of true badassedness, for, when my hearts are full, I can shoot swirling beams of death at my enemies.
And I did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu—
Okay, I'll skip a bit.
With this sword of mighty... er... might, I went after the recently rekidnapped Zelda at the palace and fought against Agahnim - a fight that I scraped by on the skin of my teeth.
I do continue to see parallels to things that would pop up later on in the Zelda series. The Dark World is a similar idea to the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess. Now, if you'll let me be a nerd here, I'll go on to speculate that perhaps the Dark World is, in fact, the Twilight Realm several generations on - its civilization gone and now overrun by the monsters that populate the Dark World. Or at least, that's how the writer in me would position these stories if we're looking at them in any sort of chronology. I'll probably go into this more in the conclusion to the series. Also, the battle with Agahnim - and the tennis match of deflected energy - is much like the battles that would appear in Ocarina of Time with Phantom Ganon and Ganondorf.
I set down the game today after a tragic game over trying to get through the maze heading toward the Dark Palace. Oh well, I'll tackle it tomorrow.

- Nate

P.S. - Sorry for all the Monty Python and the Holy Grail references.

1 comment:

Cybourgeoisie said...

Good guess on the Dark World's origins, but that's not the case. I'm not sure where or when in the game its origins are revealed (hunch tells me it's the scene that plays before you hit start in the title menu), but as far as current Zelda lore extends, the Twilight Realm and the Dark World are not one and the same.